Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Nanfeng Kiln in Foshan

The Ancient Nanfeng Kiln was an unexpected treat on my trip. One of my hobbies is ceramics and glass making. So I decided to check out this old kiln site. I did not realize this was much more than a historical interest spot.

Nanfeng should be on anyone's list who is interested in the arts. Historically, visually and experientially Nanfeng offer’s a lot. It has two ancient kilns; the dragon Nanfeng (meaning south wind) Kiln (built in the 1500’s) and the phoenix Gao Kiln (built a little after the dragon). These two kilns are still very functional. There are also three museum galleries; one historical, one contemporary and one for special exhibits.

Along with these things to see; there is also several very large clay studios for those who would like to experience the kilns. From the looks of the artwork around the park (maybe I should say institute) there have been quite a few talented artist who have worked here. There is also a sculpture park of over 250 MU (about 6000 acres). Unfortunately I did not have time to see the park and I think the studios were closed for the Spring Festival.

The two kilns, which are the main draw here, are huge. They are over 30 meters long and go up a hill in a series of large chambers. The chambers are large enough to walk in. See these two kilns would have been enough to satisfy me all by themselves. But now I want to go back and experience this "Holy Land" of ceramic culture as one of their signs says. Anybody want to join me?

The following are a few of the over 200 photos I took. By the way I left some of the photos sideways because they load faster and look better in that layout; so you will have to turn you computer sideways to see them, sorry.

No comments: